How to Become Saved
Freedom From The Bondage Of Sin
Luke 4:18 (KJV)
Salvation involves redemption, the process of being redeemed or freed from the bondage of sin. Salvation is a free gift granted to unsaved men and women who accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior. The Holy Spirit works as an agent in the granting of salvation.
Stages of Salvation:
- Repentance - means to change one's mind, a turning away from sin; a genuine feeling of regret or remorse toward sin. (Ezekiel 18:30)
- Regeneration - means to be born of the Spirit of Jesus Christ; to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior; to be justified, made right with God; to be forgiven of one's sins. (John 3:3; I Corinthians 6:11)
- Sanctification - to make holy; the process of growing to Christian maturity. (John 17:19)
- Glorification - the final stage of salvation; the process of going home to be with the Lord; dwelling in heaven with Jesus. Perfection is reached in the stage of glorification. ( St. John 7:39; St. John 2)
- Salvation - means deliverance from the bondage of sin
- Sin - rebelling against God; falling short of the standard of God
Why Do Men and Women Need Salvation?
According to the Bible sin entered into the world through one man, Adam. All men are born with the capacity to sin; therefore all are in need of salvation. (Romans 5:12-14; Romans 3:23)
Where is Salvation Found?
Jesus Is The Source Of Salvation And Hope
John 3:16 (KJV)
According to St. John 14:6, salvation is only found in Jesus Christ. Acts 4:12 and St. John 10:7-10; 15:1 give further evidence that Jesus Christ is the way of salvation.
Salvation Comes Through Grace and Not Works
Grace is the unmerited or unearned love of God, which is unconditionally bestowed upon all mankind. It redeems sinners who repent and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. A person cannot earn salvation through good works, although a saved person will produce good works.
- Psalms 84:11
- Luke 2:40
- Romans 11:5-6
- 1 Corinthians 15:10
- Titus 2:11
- 1 Peter 4:1
How to Receive Salvation?
Salvation is a gift that lasts throughout eternity. It is granted when one hears the Word of God and believes in the truth of the Word and confesses Jesus as Lord and Savior. A receptive response to God's Word and a willingness to repent of one's sins is what is required of those who receive the salvation of Jesus Christ. But the Holy Spirit (which is the Spirit of Jesus) is the power and the authority which activates the salvation process.
John 5:24 says:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life." (KJV)
Salvation comes through hearing and believing in the power of God's Word for his Word is a light in a sea of darkness that frees men and women from the bondage of sin. John 1:1-13 says the Word became flesh and dwelt among men.
John 1:14 identifies the Word as Jesus Christ where it says:
and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
John 3:16 Reveals Who Grants Salvation:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. "(KJV)
Jesus is the Son of God. He is the sole grantor of salvation for he is the Way the Truth and the Life.
Romans 10: 9-13 says:
9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (KJV)
God Has No Respect of Person in Granting Salvation
The simple gift of salvation is available to everyone. The rich cannot buy it. The famous cannot grant it. Hard work cannot earn it. It is granted to those who are humble enough to receive it from Jesus Christ.
You Can Receive Jesus Christ by Repeating the Following Words:
Dear Lord I am a sinner; have mercy on me. I accept you as my Lord and Savior. These words combined with the power of the Holy Spirit activates the Salvation process. Salvation is a simple process which leads to a wealth of blessings in this life and the life to come. Genesis 1: 27 says that man was made in the image of God. Revelation 22: 13 says that Jesus is the Alpha and Omega. He is the beginning and the end.
Those Who Accept Jesus Christ as Their Lord and Savior Should Join a Bible Believing Church for the Purpose of Growing in the Faith
If there is an acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, the new convert is advised to be led by the Holy Spirit in joining a Bible believing Christian Church that teach the following:
- Jesus is the Son of God Jesus
- Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist
- Jesus died on the cross for the sin of mankind
- Jesus physically arose from the dead on the first day of the week
- Jesus is the way the truth and the life and no one will be saved except through him
- The return of Jesus will usher in a new heaven and a new earth
- The Bible teaches about a literal Heaven and Hell